10 Steps to Increase your Life Expectancy
Do you wish for long life? If your answer is ‘YES’ below are ten amazing steps to increase your life expectancy as culled from The Secrets of Longevity by Dr. Maxwell Ituen
1. Extend Your Life Expectancy Through Screenings and Test: One of the most effective ways to add healthy years to your life is to undergo regular medical tests and health screening. Medical tests and screening can help treat diseases early, when they are more treatable and extend life expectancy even with an illness or disease.
2. Avoiding Risk Increases Life Expectancy: The human body has amazing capacities that will keep going for a long time as long as you keep it out of trouble. Focus on avoiding obvious risk and dangers. For young people, the biggest causes of death are not disease or age-related problems. The biggest causes of death for young people are accidents, injuries and violence and certain behaviours such as smoking and alcoholism. These they must avoid to protect their life expectancy. Added to the list is the advice on things to do: wear your seat belt, drive defensively and maintain a healthy weight.
3. Go outside for a Longer Life Expectancy: Life expectancy can be increased simply by going outside. When you go outside your skin gets exposed to sunlight which triggers the cells to produce vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential for bone health and is also important in depression, heart disease, diabetes etc. It is estimated that about 50% of adults have low levels of Vitamin D. Getting outside for just 15 minutes a day and exposing your hands and face to sunlight is enough to maintain Vitamin D levels in most cases. The elderly need to pay special attention to their Vitamin D levels. Going outside could also improve sleep because sunlight also regulates another hormone in the body called Melatonin that controls your sleep cycle.
4. Life Expectancy Increased by Hanging Out: Life expectancy can be increased simply by just hanging out with your friends and family. Having positive relationship with a spouse, friends and family is the best way to be connected. The more connected someone is, the better his/her overall health. People who engage in “meaningful” relationships have better health and therefore better life expectancy.
5. Turn off your T.V for a Longer Life Expectancy: Cutting back on television watching could improve Life Expectancy in some people who are chronic T.V watchers, for the following reasons:
* Watching T.V makes you inactive, and could lead to weight problems over many months and years
* People who are Chronic T.V watchers eat more than those who don’t.
* T.V could make you antisocial, instead of talking to real people face to face, you are at home, zoned in.
* T.V could be stressful, especially when the news is filled with stressful stories.
* T.V keeps you from doing other things. An average person watches about 4 hours of T.V programmes everyday – that is 28 hours in a week or more than 1400 hours a year. This length of time could be used for other things.
6. De-stress for a Longer Life Expectancy: Life expectancy can be reduced by stress, either directly, through the long-term unhealthy effects of Stress on your body or indirectly through the negative behaviours (such as comfort eating, smoking etc) that stress may trigger. You must learn to relax to keep your life expectancy where it should be. Stress has been linked to many health conditions such as Heart Disease, Cancer, not sleeping well, feeling irritable etc.
7. More Sex for a Longer Life Expectancy: Your life expectancy may be increased through having more sex. In one study, men with a high frequency of orgasms showed a 50% reduction in mortality. Sex triggers all sorts of endorphin and hormones in the body – may be these help with healthy aging and increasing life expectancy. In addition to this, sex is a market for good, positive relationship.
8. Be Like a Vegetarian for Your Life Expectancy: Life expectancy can be linked to three factors that vegetarians excel at (1) Fewer bad fats (2) More antioxidants (3) Lower weight.
According to statistics, the leading cause of death and the number one shortener of life expectancy in some developed countries is heart disease. Vegetarian diet helps to reduce the problem of blood pressure rise and heart disease. People who eat much vegetable take in much antioxidant. Antioxidants help your body to repair some of the damages caused by aging. A healthy vegetarian diet helps to maintain or lose weight and a healthy weight is linked to a longer life expectancy.
9. Improve Life Expectancy with Daily Exercise: Improve your life expectancy with a commitment to daily exercise.
Studies have shown that people who exercise vigorously for about 3 hours a week (that is 30 minutes a day) had DNA and cells that were 9 years younger than non-exercisers.
10. Floss Daily for Longer Life Expectancy: Flossing prevents gum disease and by extension heart disease by helping to prevent your gums from becoming inflamed through chronic bacterial infection in your mouth. The bacteria find their way into your arteries causing plaques and also your body mounts an immune response to the bacteria in your mouth, causing inflammation which in turn can cause your arteries to narrow. This can lead to heart disease