Iniobong Edo Ekim popularly known as Ini Edo is a famous Nollywood actress, model, film producer, entrepreneur, philanthropist, and television personality. She has been regarded as one of the most beautiful actresses in Nigeria and also one of the highest-paid actresses in Nigeria.
She is always known for featuring in romantic, sorrowful, and action-thriller movies. She has been in the industry for over a decade. She always plays the role of a maid, house help, president daughter, royal princess, palace maid, independent corporate young lady, romantic housewife, girlfriend, and self-determined young lady in several Nollywood movies. In this article, I will be sharing with you 12 real facts about the Nollywood Actress you apparently didn’t know.
- Ini Edo was born on 19th April 1982 in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State which is in the southern part of Nigeria but she grew up in Calabar in Cross River State, Nigeria.
- The Nollywood Actress’s mother was a teacher, and her father a church elder in one of the orthodox churches in Nigeria. Ini Edo had a strict upbringing, the second of four children, three girls, one boy.
- As a kid, Ini Edo’s dream was to become an actress. She completed her primary school education in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State in the south southern part of Nigeria and obtained her First School Leaving Certificate. After completing her primary school education, Ini Edo attended Cornelius Connely College in Calabar, Cross River State in the south southern part of Nigeria for her secondary school education and obtained her West African Senior School Certificate. While still in secondary school she was actively involved in drama, stage play, and performing arts.
- After completing her secondary school education, Ini Edo proceeded to the University of Uyo in Akwa Ibom State in the south southern part of Nigeria where she graduated with a National Diploma (OND) in Theatre Arts. After obtaining her National Diploma Certificate at the University of Uyo, Ini Edo went further to the University of Calabar in Cross River State, Nigeria, and graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in English Language.
- While still in the University of Calabar as an undergraduate Ini Edo began auditioning for acting jobs in Nollywood movies. After she graduated from the university, Ini Edo joined the Nigerian movie industry popularly known as Nollywood professionally in 2000 and started playing a minor role in movies. In 2004, Ini Edo rose to fame after acting in the Nollywood blockbuster movie “World Apart” a movie she starred alongside Kenneth Okonkwo and Lis Benson.
- In 2005, she won the award for “Most Promising Actress” in Nigeria at the Africa Movie Academy Awards thanks to the movie “World Apart”.
- Ini Edo has featured in more than 250 Nollywood movies. Some of the movies she has acted in include World Apart, Thick Madam, Royal Gift, Blind Kingdom, Ghetto Queen, Power of Beauty, and many more.
- Ini Edo aside from acting is also a model and a reigning queen. In 2013, she was announced as a judge for the Miss Black Africa United Kingdom Beauty Pageant. Due to her philanthropic gestures, the United Nations appointed her as the United Nations Habitat Youth Envoy.
- Ini Edo in the cause of her acting career has won several awards both home and abroad. some of the awards she has won include Best Actress in a Leading Role at the Africa Movie Academy Awards, Best Actress in Nigeria (English) at the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards, Most Promising Actress in Nigeria at the Africa Movie Academy Awards, Best Actress in Comedy at the City People Entertainment Awards, Best Actress in a Supporting Role at the Exquisite Lady of the Year Award and Best Outstanding Actress in Nigeria at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards.
- Ini Edo’s success in the Nigerian movie industry popularly known as Nollywood has earned her so many endorsements in Nigeria. In 2010, she was named the brand ambassador of noble hair. In 2016, Ini Edo was appointed The Special Assistant to the Akwa Ibom State Governor on Culture and Tourism.
- Ini Edo currently has an estimated net worth of over $3 million, making her one of the richest and most influential actresses in Nigeria. She is also very popular on social media with more than 3 million followers on her official Instagram account.
- Ini Edo has been married before but later divorced her husband due to a misunderstanding that could not be resolved. She is currently single and hopes to get married again someday.