34 Facts You Need To Know About Samuel Ogbemudia
Samuel Ogbemudia,the former Governor of the Old Bendel State joined his ancestors today.This was a shocking news to the People of Edo state and Nigeria as a whole because he was one of the pioneers of developmental projects in the present day Edo and Delta states and a pillar of sports.
From all of us in www.dailyfamily.ng we celebrate the legacies left by his as we unfold 34 facts about this great son of Edo:
1.His Full Name:Dr.Samuel Osaigbovo Ogbemudia
2.Date Of Birth: 17th September 1932
3.He lived with his elder cousin, Mr. FS Uwaifo, a Benin-based businessman
- Primary School Attended: Benin Baptist School (1941–1945)
5.Secondary School Attended: Government school, Victoria, in the Cameroons (1945–1947). And Western Boy’s High School, Benin City (1947–1949).
- He joined the Nigeria army in 1957
7.Trained at Teshie, Ghana and Netheravon and Salisbury Plain in England (1957)
- He attended the officer cadet school at Aldershot, England in 1960
9.Commissioned as second lieutenant in 1961
- Attended the United States army special welfare school at Fort Bragg, South Carolina in 1962
- Served with the United Nations peacekeeping force in the Congo for 16 months
- Served in Tanzania in 1964.
13.He was appointed as an instructor to the Nigerian Military School, Zaria in 1964.
- Ogbemudia was appointed Military Governor of Mid-West state in September, 1967
- Promoted to Lt. Colonel in 1967
16.After the civil war, he was dedicated to reconstruction after the war, he initiated improvements in the areas of sports, urban development, education, public transportation, housing and commerce
17.He built the Ogbe sports stadium, now named the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium
18.He also August 1973 he also built and commissioned the three-story National Museum in Benin City
19.Ogbemudia established :
-the Agbede Mechanized Farm,
-Rural Electrification Board
– Bendel Steel Structures
– Bendel Pharmaceuticals
-the University of Benin and the Bendel Line. 34 Facts You Need To Know About Samuel Ogbemudia
20.He was retired from the Army as a Brigadier General in 1975 with eight others who served as military Governors under Gowon Administration when Murtala Muhammed became the Head of State.
- Colonel George Agbazika Innih replaced Ogbemudia as the Governor
22.He was tried for abuses while in office, but acquitted
- During a brief return to civil rule, Samuel Ogbemudia was elected governor of Bendel State in Oct 1983 as candidate for the National Party of Nigeria, replacing Ambrose Alli of the Unity Party of Nigeria. However, he lost his position in December that year when Muhammadu Buhari became the military Head of State after a coup d’état that overthrew civilian President Shehu Shagari
24.Ogbemudia was appointed as minister for Labor and Productivity (1993-1998) by General Sanni Abacha
25.He was quoted as saying he would die for Abacha.Ogbemudia supported a move to have Abacha stand for election, saying “The nation has made wonderful progress under General Abacha … He is, no doubt, the only answer to Nigeria’s progress and development”
- In 1998/1999, Ogbemudia was one of the founders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Edo state
27.He was a member of the Board of Trustees of PDP. 34 Facts You Need To Know About Samuel Ogbemudia
- Ogbemudia and Chief Anthony Anenih controlled PDP politics in Edo State for a decade.
- In November 2007, at an enlarged meeting of the PDP at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium in Benin, Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia spoke strongly against proposals by Anthony Anenih to change existing zoning arrangement of offices, then walked out of the meeting
- In December 2006, Samuel Ogbemudia expressed support for the presidential bid of Dr Mohammed Buba Marwa.34 Facts You Need To Know About Samuel Ogbemudia
- In an interview in November after 20 March 2008 tribunal that nullified the election of Oserheimen Osunbor (PDP) as Edo State governor due to voting irregularities, and declared commrate Adams Oshiomhole of the Action Congress as the winner, as a prominent member of the PDP board of trustees Ogbedmudia said he would have preferred a PDP member to have won. However, he accepted the tribunal result, and described Oshiomhole as a man of strong character. He spoke critically of earlier governors, such as Chief Lucky Igbinedion. 34 Facts You Need To Know About Samuel Ogbemudia
- In July 2009, Sam Ogbemudia was leader of a PDP faction that was supporting Prof. Julius Ihonvbere as candidate for the Edo State governorship in 2011.
- In October 2009, Samuel Ogbemudia failed to attend the unity rally of the party in Edo state organised by Anthony Anenih. A month later, Dr. Sam Ogbemudia praised Oshiomhole’s accomplishments in his first year of office, leading to speculations of a possible political alliance between the two men
34.Samuel Ogbemudia died on 10th March 2017. 34 Facts You Need To Know About Samuel Ogbemudia