5 Amazing Health Benefits of Taking Corn Pap (Ogi, Akamu, Masara)
Corn Pap is an amazing local cereal made from fermented blended corn and is taken by almost all tribes in Nigeria. They often take it as at breakfast or at dinner.
Corn Pap called Ogi by the Yorubas, Akamu by the Igbos and Kira Masara by the Hausas have the following health benefits:
- Easy Digestion: With corn pap, there is nothing like constipation or indigestion because the cereal digests easily. This is why in Nigeria; sick persons are given corn pap to drink.
- Superb for Breastfeeding: taking corn pap supplies the body with sufficient liquid the body needs, this is why women breastfeeding babies in Nigeria take corn pap as it enhances the supply of milk from the breast.
- Energy Booster: corn pap is mostly taken as a breakfast meal, this is because it is light and does not weigh the body down but instead increases the body’s energy level because it supplies carbohydrate.
- Reduces Risk of High Blood Pressure: Corn pap contains a high amount of Potassium and zero amount of sodium. This makes it perfect for lowering blood pressure.
- Contains Vitamins: corn used to make pap contains lots of vitamins which includes; Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B5, B3, B1. It also contains Potassium, Zinc, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Chromium, Selenium and so on.
Since corn pap is mostly taken with other varieties like Akara, Moi-Moi, Fish and so on, taking this cereal helps to nourish the body.