5 THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU SAY I DO
As you are preparing to get married, many things must be in place and you must get committed to them. Unfortunately, many people get married without considering them. They are biting their fingers today. So, kindly do these things before you say “Yes, I do”. Proverbs 24:27 (KJV)
- HAVE AN ALL-ROUND PREPARATION: Prepare physically, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, financially and intellectually. Get yourself ready in every aspect of your life before you get married. Proverbs 16:1,3 (KJV)
- GET TO KNOW THE PERSON YOU WANT TO MARRY: You must know the person you want to marry inside-out. Of course, you can’t know anybody 100%, but you must know enough to keep you safe and secure. You must know enough to live a life of peace and joy. So, make your investigation; check past social media posts and pictures of the person. They may speak volumes. Ask probing questions; pay unscheduled visits; be sensitive when you visit; ask the Holy Spirit to show you things. Don’t ever go into a marriage blindly, you may live to regret it.
- GET EVERY NECESSARY THING BEFORE MARRIAGE: Get your apartment, household properties, kitchen utensils, etc. You can’t get married and stay with your parents and relatives. Get your home ready.
- GET ADEQUATE TRAINING: Most young ones prepare for a wedding but do nothing to get them ready for marriage. This explains why many marriages are ending in divorce and lots who remain in it are enduring it. Genesis 14:14 (KJV)
Before going into marriage, get adequate training. Get yourself more than ready.
- Learn about money, in-laws and conflict management in marriage Ecclesiastes 7:12 (KJV)
- Learn about pregnancy and delivery 1 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)
- Learn about gender, temperament and personality differences.
- Learn about tolerance, forgiveness, intimacy, submission, affection, togetherness and teamwork in marriage. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (KJV)
You see, there are many things you need to know which you may never learn within the four walls of a conventional school. You need to undergo special training on this.
Attend a marriage school, attend premarital training, read books and have a family mentor. By all means, make yourself ready for marriage.
- FULFIL ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS: Do everything right before going into that marriage. Fulfil all righteousness; obey your church leadership; pass through all the phases of training; do all the tests. Let marriage be honourable. There should be no sex before marriage; no cohabitation and sinful attitudes. Do everything right. Matthew 3:15 (KJV)