Home » Police concluded investigation into the death of Naval Commander

Police concluded investigation into the death of Naval Commander

by O. S David

Police concluded investigation into the death of Naval Commander

-Ojo Oluwasegun

Men of the Lagos State Police Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, Panti, have concluded investigation into the death of the Fleet Commander, Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Daniel Ikoli, who was found dead in his Apapa residence earlier in the month.

Ikoli was also a member of the Presidential Committee on Audit of Defence Equipment Procurement, CADEP.

His ethnic group, Ijaw, the Nigerian Navy authorities, and his family had suspected Ikoli may have been assassinated as he had no cause to kill himself.

However, Police investigation has shown that the Naval Chief committed suicide.

A source at the Force Headquarters, Abuja, told the Sun that an interim report on the investigations was submitted by the Lagos Police CID to the State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni on Tuesday after which the CP communicated to the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris on their findings.

According to the report details, Admiral Ikoli committed suicide contrary to earlier speculations by the Navy, family and Ijaw National Congress as well as Ijaw Youths Congress that he was assassinated.

The report has it that before his death, the Naval Chief had signed for a service pistol and 15 rounds of live ammunition for his personal use.

“Investigations revealed that on the day of the incident, Admiral Ikoli fired two shots into the wall in his apartment.

“Neighbours who heard the gunshots immediately called his wife, Hositela Ikoli, who is based in Abuja, and alerted the Western Navy Command.

“Shortly after the call was made, his wife and a Lieutenant from his Command called him on phone and he picked, spoke to them and assured them that all was well.

“It was thereafter he pulled the trigger again and shot himself in the head,” the source said.

Detectives also gathered that Ikoli’s apartment door was locked from behind and there was no sign of any intruder breaking in.

Police investigation further revealed that only 12 rounds were left in his pistol, which meant that he shot three out of the 15 rounds he signed for.

His pistol and finger prints had also been sent to the Force Headquarters’ Forensic Department, Alagbon, Ikoyi, Lagos for analysis and comparison.

“The report showed that the woman confirmed that she was alerted on the day of the incident after the initial two gunshots were heard from his apartment and she called her husband, who picked his mobile phone and assured her there was no problem”, the police source added.

Related Articles

Leave a Comment