9 Amazing Ways to Reduce Heartburn During Pregnancy
Heartburn during pregnancy can be unbearable for most women and it is usually a thing of concern. In a lot of women, this happens more in the second and third trimester.
Heartburn is also called acid indigestion and it causes irritation which can be due to hormonal and physical changes that occur during pregnancy. It usually comes in form of a burning sensation in the upper abdomen or chest area.
Here are ways to reduce its effect:
- Check what you wear: you might think this is not important but it is. You need to wear something comfortable and not too tight that will allow your free movement.
- Eat smaller meals: instead of going for the ‘normal’ three square heavy meals, go for smaller meals several times as the demand arises.
- Eat slowly: you don’t need to rush yourself while eating as this can aggravate heartburn. Eat slowly and be sure to have swallowed one before putting another that is why you don’t want to wait till you are unbearably hungry before eating.
- Don’t go to bed heavy: after each meal, sit down and relax so as to allow for thorough digestion. Never lie down immediately after meal.
- When you wake up, try sitting up straight first as this will put less pressure on the stomach thereby preventing acid from rising.
- Drink little: whenever you are eating, drink little water as you don’t want to drink too much then get full and your stomach is bloated which can contribute to heartburn.
- Don’t bend through the waist but better bend with the knees as to prevent putting pressure on the stomach
- Avoid fried and fatty foods. Eat natural fruits and vegetables
- You might need to consult your Doctor: though some over the counter drugs have been said to be safe in order to prevent taking a risk, consult your Doctor.
Read Also: What To Do When There Is A Pain In Pregnancy