9 Incredible Benefits of Castor Oil
Who doesn’t want flawless, glowing skin and bouncy hair? These are the two most common beauty concerns and the anxiety that builds with trying to be perfect often has us resorting to chemical-laden products or unnecessary treatments. But there are better ways to get pretty that are pure and simple. Castor oil is one of them. Castor oil is the pale yellow liquid extracted from castor seeds and is very rich in antioxidants. You may have not known this but castor oil is a natural beauty ingredient that can solve most of your skin and hair problems. Mostly known for its hair and skin benefits, castor oil has some amazing therapeutic advantages not many of us are aware of.
Today, castor oil remains a popular natural treatment for common conditions like constipation and skin ailments and is commonly used in natural beauty products. We tell you some benefits of castor oil:
- A Powerful Laxative: Perhaps one of the best-known medicinal uses for castor oil is it as a natural laxative.
It’s classified as a stimulant laxative, meaning that it increases the movement of the muscles that push material through the intestines, helping clear the bowels.
Stimulant laxatives act rapidly and are commonly used to relieve temporary constipation.
- To increase immunity: For those who follow naturopathy, castor oil strengthens the immune system by increasing white blood cells and thus fights infections. It is also proven that castor oil increases the count of T-11 cells (a type of white blood cells) and the production of lymphocytes in the blood within hours of application. This initiates the body to produce more antibodies as well as to kill viruses, fungi, bacteria and cancer cells.
- Boosts circulation: Immunity and proper blood flow go hand in hand. If your lymphatic system does not work, you will become chronically ill. The circulatory system is crucial to keep us alive by bringing oxygen to our cells. Castor oil has been shown to help in blood flow.
To induce labour: A lot of pregnant women at full term are orally given castor oil, as it induces labour by pushing uterus contraction, according to gynaecologists. The ricinoleic acid in the oil activates EP3 prostanoid receptor in uterus, thus helping in delivery. However, it is not recommended in a lot of cases, as it makes the woman feel nauseous.
- Clears Acne: The problem with most beauty products is that they strip the oil out of your skin. Each time your skin is robbed of oil, it compensates for the lack of moisture by producing more oil which leads to oily and inflamed skin that triggers acne. Don’t be afraid of applying oil to your skin. The essential fatty acids that castor oil contains help in restoring the skin’s natural moisture balance. Apply castor oil gently on your face and massage in circular motions. You can even leave it overnight and wash off in the morning. You can also use steam to open your pores and help your skin absorb the oil better.
- Gives Healthy, Shiny Hair: Medical Expert tells us that any oil gives only external nourishment. But castor oil is the best oil to enrich your scalp. It contains ricinoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids and therefore when massaged onto the scalp it helps in increasing the blood circulation which improves hair growth. Castor oil also moisturizes and conditions your hair naturally.
- It treats joint pains
Castor oil is known for treating arthritis, its anti-inflammatory properties make it ideal massage oil for relieving joint pain, nerve inflammation and sore muscles. Massaging the joint with castor oil and placing a hot water bag helps in pain relief. In cases of arthritis, this process if repeated twice a week will ensure better results.
Read Also: 5 BEST VITAMINS FOR SKIN HEALTH
- Promotes Wound Healing: Applying castor oil to wounds creates a moist environment that promotes healing and prevents sores from drying out.
- Makes your hair stronger and thicker: Castor oil is very good for your long and shiny hair. Using castor oil twice a week can help your hair grow faster, stronger, shinier, thicker and be free of dandruff. Castor oil has omega-6 fatty acids which goes to the root of the hair and improves circulation. The antifungal and antibacterial properties of castor oil can help to remove dandruff and cure scalp infections.
- Treats Wrinkles: Another piece of advice is that castor oil can be a great natural remedy for wrinkles. It penetrates into the skin and boosts the production of collagen which softens and hydrates the skin. It rejuvenates the skin by making it softer and smoother. Apply a small amount of castor oil over the wrinkled area and leave it overnight.
Kindly follow us on Twitter