Bishop Oyedepo and former classmates at the 50th Anniversary of the Government Secondary School, Omu-Aran, his Alma Mater on Saturday, 11 Nov 2017.
AMAZING BUT QUIET THINGS NIGERIAN CHURCHES ARE DOING FOR THE POOR
It has been said over time that Nigerians don’t celebrate their heroes and heroines until their last breath. When they give up the ghost, many good things will be said about the deceased hero and monuments raised in their honour even if the so-called fallen hero died of hunger or in abject poverty.
Many unsung heroes have gone into the grave with regrets and bitterness over neglect and lack of commendation for their sacrifices and efforts towards nation building.
Ranked among the unsung heroes in Nigeria is the Church. Nigeria Churches have always been in the news but for the negative reasons.
Churches news only has a major spot in the headlines of national dailies, T.V, Radio and social media platforms once it’s a news that has to do with scandal, misappropriation of funds, embezzlement of funds, breakaway, leadership tussle, among others.
At times, media houses can devote more than one year to follow-up a scandal story about a particular Pastor which paints the Church in a bad light making us feel that there’s nothing good about the Church.
Is this the whole truth about the Church? The answer is No! Churches are doing laudable projects that are impacting the society positively which the media houses are not talking about. Join me as I reveal amazing but quiet things Nigeria Churches are doing for the poor:
- Deeper Life Bible Church – Pastor W. F. Kumuyi
This Church has been touching the lives of the people positively through these means:
- For many years, Deeper Life Bible Church (DLBC) has been feeding the poor for free especially during her Retreats – Bad for news.
- Deeper Life builds a #3 Billion Naira Church facility to cater for her teeming multitudes- (The Church comes under attack for not giving the money to the poor by people who probably have never cared for others) Good for news!
- Deeper Life spends #1.2 Billion on an overhead bridge to stem traffic (who cares)-Bad for news. The Church of Christ will never be able to please the Gates of Hell. It’s time to shake off the distraction
- The Redeemed Christian Church Of God – Pastor E. A. Adeboye
This world’s fastest growing Church has been heavily criticized for:
-Establishing too many Churches
-Pastor Adeboye flies to Zambia, Botswana, CAR, Rwanda in private jet- (News goes viral)
All these criticisms go viral with no media house beaming searchlight on their great but silent works that are affecting the populace positively. Some of which are:
-.Redeemed Christian Church of God develops a forest into a sprawling city (Redemption Camp) at no cost to the government helping to decongest Lagos
– Pastor Adeboye and wife built rehabilitation centre in Epe for youths overtaken by drug addiction
– RCCG builds 80km road connecting Ikorodu with Redemption Camp/Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
Are you not disturbed that none of these laudable projects made the headline in our dailies let alone doing a follow-up story.
- Christ Embassy- Pastor Chris Oyakhilome
Pastor Chris has been in the news for negative news like:
-Pastor Chris divorced his wife.
-Pastor Chris fakes testimonies in his Church.
All these and many others go viral but nobody is reporting their kind gestures such as:
– Christ Embassy inspires and sponsors hundreds of youths talented in the music ministry
-Christ Embassy provides succour for tens of thousands in Haiti
-Christ Embassy feeds thousands of children daily in her Inner City Mission Scheme
-Gospel sensations like Sinach, Eben, Frank Edwards, Buchi, Samsung, Joe Praize are all inspired by Pastor Chris.
- Daystar Christian Centre – Pastor Sam Adeyemi
Pastor Sam Adeyemi has his fair share of media criticism as he has been dubbed as a prosperity preacher but nobody reports his community services like the adoption of a School in Oregun which he equipped with computers and maintains on a yearly basis.
– Daystar equips 20,000 kids as they return to school
- World Of Life – Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor
This former CAN chairman’s story went viral for receiving a jet gift for his birthday. Many condemned it and asked him to sell it and give the money to the poor.
But when Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor gives cars, money, Keke, sewing machines, grinding machines to the poor, all these do not merit the headlines.
- MFM – Dr. D. K. Olukoya
Dr. D. K. Olukoya has been on the forefront of youth developments as he invests heavily in football
MFM provides cars and cash for 1st class graduates in Unilag yearly. All these are not good enough for the news.
- Winners Chapel – Bishop David Oyedepo
This man of God has been criticized heavily for negative news like:
– Living Faith Church under investigation in the UK – News goes viral.
-Bishop Oyedepo owned 4 private jets
-Faith Oyedepo ‘paralysed’- News goes viral.
-Oyedepo jets out to Sierra Leone, Liberia and the news goes viral
None of his community services which have brought smiles to the faces of many was newsworthy.
Some of these community services are:
– Winners Chapel gives provisions, food, cash to Osun workers after being owed 8 months salary by State Government
-The Bishop has paid monthly salaries for 20 of the school teachers since 2011. He also renovated the school and 3 others in his hometown.
– Winner’s Chapel, in FACT, does NOT own 4 jets
– Bishop Oyedepo subsidises transport fare in hometown to #20-#50 per trip.
-Red Cross commends Oyedepo for the largest consignment of welfare aid asides government since Nigerian Civil.
-Winners Chapel ‘s gift consignment largest ever received by Rwandan Government
-Winners Chapel Accesses Koma Hills with provisions – plants school, church
– Landmark University operates the largest scholarship scheme among Nigerian private universities
-Living Faith Church commended for financial integrity by the UK authorities after the probe, named as a good example for other NGOs.
-. Oyedepo builds #100 million Townhall in Omu Aran
– Covenant University generates her own electricity
– David Oyedepo Foundation now gives about N500 million annually in her 24-year-old scholarship scheme to indigent students.
– Covenant University in less than 20 years ranks amongst the top universities in Africa ahead of many much older Nigerian Universities.
-Faith Oyedepo totally healed
– Sierra Leonean President thanked Winners Chapel for the relief package given to citizens.
OTHER GIANT STRIDES OF NIGERIAN CHURCHES:
– Nigerian Churches attract the largest number of tourists to Nigeria
– Nigerian Churches infrastructural development among highest in Nigeria
– Nigerian Churches now the foremost player in education at all levels in Nigeria
– Churches establish universities ensuring that many otherwise jobless academics are gainfully employed
– Prisoners testify of how Church missionaries led them to Christ, became better citizens
– Covenant, JABU, BIU and Landmark Universities are among the 10 cheapest private universities
The media has battered the church image over the years without paying attention to the selfless services of the Nigerian Churches.
It’s high time we gave kudos to church as the victor and stop demeaning her on the pages of newspaper and social media platforms.
Well done Church, Well done Nigerian Pastors!