CHALLENGES OF INTER-TRIBAL MARRIAGES
Inter-tribal or inter-racial marriages have their own challenges, peculiar to them.Inter-tribal marriages are the kind of marriage between two people from different tribes, nations, countries or cultures.CHALLENGES OF INTER-TRIBAL MARRIAGES
Examples are a Yoruba married Ibo,Hausa married Ibo,or Indian married European. We need to understand them to be able to make the most of these kinds of marriages. CHALLENGES OF INTER-TRIBAL MARRIAGES
The following are the challenges in inter-tribal or inter-racial marriages:
- Differences in Culture. Cultures are different from tribe to tribe; what some tribes see as the norm is a taboo to others. The way of greeting, talking, addressing elders, wedding, naming ceremonies, burial, etc are different. This can pose as serious challenges to couples especially young ones or old one who are rigid and not ready to understand each other.
- Differences in Food. Food is also different, people are known to disdain food from other cultures and tribes.
- Differences in Languages. This is one of the major problems in inter-tribal marriages as the couple may have to communicate with each other; using a third language that is not their mother tongue. This poses serious problems when family members of any of the couple are around and they begin to speak their language which the partners do not understand. He/she will feel lost, may even think they are planning evil against him or her.
- Differences in Beliefs and custom. Each tribe has their set beliefs, which other tribes may not support or even hate.
- Different festivals and anniversaries. Each culture also has different kind of festivals and ceremonies which other tribes may not be positively disposed to.
- Differences in mode of dressing. Each tribe has the way they dress which is peculiar to their own tribe, which may not be what other tribes like.
- Old Inter-tribal hatred. Most tribes have deep rooted hatred for other tribes. They disdain their food, culture, dressing, language, etc. Almost everybody believes his or her tribe is the best. Some tribes’ hatred even dates as far back as years because of wars fought between the tribes in the ancient time.
- Differences in religion. Some tribes are known with some religions even if both people in the marriage are Christian; their family members are still in those religions and they will definitely have their own input on the marriage.
Click here to read: HOW TO HANDLE CHALLENGES OF INTER-TRIBAL MARRIAGES