President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday appointed Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
Yahaya replaced the late General Ibrahim Attahiru who recently died in a fatal plane crash en-route Kaduna State and other senior officers and crew members.
Here are six things you should know about him:
- Major General Farouk Yahaya is of Regular Course 37 of the Nigerian Defence Academy
- He hails from Zamfara State.
- Until his appointment, he was the GOC Div. 1 and the incumbent Theatre Commander of the counter-terrorism counter-insurgency military outfit in the North-East code-named Operation HADIN KAI.
- Yahaya took over from Maj.-Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi, who was redeployed to the Nigerian Army Resource Centre as Senior Research Fellow.
- He was also formerly General Officer Commanding Officer of the 1 Division of the Nigerian Army.
- Yahaya was also the Commander of the 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army.
Don’t ever miss any news again: